Wider den Reduktionismus – Ausgewählte Beiträge zum Kurt Gödel Preis 2019
(Against Reductionism – Selected articles from the Kurt Gödel Award 2019)
This book appeared on 17th July 2021 and can be ordered here from the Springer book publisher
Preface, Contents and about the authors
The Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends Berlin with the support of the University of Wuppertal
Kurt Gödel Award 2021
for the promotion and dissemination of Gödel’s work
in the natural sciences and humanities:
Gödel and the non-existence of time
For the second contest, we would like to focus on Kurt Gödel’s little-noticed argument for the nonexistence of time from his contribution in the book celebrating Einstein’s 70th birthday* This prize will again be awarded in an essay contest for the best answers to the following question:
What does it mean for our world view if, according to Gödel, we also assume the non-existence of time?
Contributions are again welcome which illuminate the subject matter from a philosophical, mathematical-logical or scientific perspective, if they relate to Kurt Gödel’s work..**
1st prize: 10,000 €
as well as five further prizes for particularly good contributions
from the shortlist, each with 1,000 €.
Conditions of participation:
- By participating in the competition, participants accept the following terms and conditions.
- The essay must have a minimum 4000 characters (incl. spaces)
- The entries for the contest are to be sent only as an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contributions can only be written in German or English.
- The deadline for entries was the 30th of September 2021 at midnight.
Entries will no longer be accepted.
- All submissions will be submitted to the jury anonymously. The names of the authors will not be communicated to the jury until after the final decision has been taken.
- The jury of the Kurt Gödel Award will make a pre-selection among the entries by excluding the contributions that a 2/3 majority of the jury deems less interesting (shortlist).
- This pre-selection will be published (until the award ceremony without the authors names) on the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends website.
- Subsequently, the jury will have a discussion to decide on the 6 winners. The shortlist contributions which are finally not awarded, will no longer be published by the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends after the award ceremony.
- The winners will be notified in writing at the latest on the 31st of December 2021.
- By submitting an essay, the authors or the author collectives agree that the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends may store their personal data and use it as part of the competition. All participants must provide their name, date of birth, current address, email address, telephone number and, where applicable, the institutional affiliation when submitting their contribution. At the end of the competition, we will delete all personal data of those participants who did not receive a prize for their contribution.
- Please send your personal information in a separate file. The text document must not contain any references to the author. Your personal data will not be shared with third parties without your express consent and will only be used for the purpose of the competition.
- Every author of a contribution agrees to waive all claims to the copyright of the submitted contribution when published on the internet by the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends as editor on its websites. All other copyrights will remain with the authors.
- The names of the winners may subsequently be published by the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends in all forms and in all media. The Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends is permitted to publish photos of the winners created in connection with the award ceremony or submitted by the authors.
- The decisions of the jury of the Kurt Gödel Award are final. Legal recourse is excluded. [The jury members are determined by the Kurt Gödel Circle of Friends]
- The members of the jury may not themselves participate in this competition.
- All submitted essays must be previously unpublished and written independently by the author or author collective. No sources other than those quoted may be used. All quotes and cited texts must be marked as such.
- A breach of these terms and conditions of participation leads to exclusion from the competition.
Kurt Gödel Freundeskreis, c/o Hans Schwarzlow, Arenholzsteig 3, 12103 Berlin, www.kurtgoedel.de
For requests by the press about the award, please contact
Hans Schwarzlow: schwarzlow[ät]t-online.de or Oliver Passon: passon[ät]uni-wuppertal.de
** here is a comprehensible and detailed explanation of Prof. Palle Yourgrau’s reasoning.
** So it is not about a confirmation or refutation of Kurt Gödel’s reasoning, instead for the contest this is assumed to be correct.
Aditionally, on 14 June 2021 the following report was published in Nature Astronomy:
Possible observational evidence for cosmic filament spin, see full article here: https://rdcu.be/cxan3
This link is interesting because it could support Kurt Gödel’s argument for the non-existence of time. Hao Wang wrote in Reflections on Kurt Gödel MIT Press, (1987), p. 183, quote:
„The quality of these observations [a very low rate of rotation] improved continually up until Gödel’s death, and he would always ask „is the universe rotating yet?“ and be told „no, it isn’t“ „ see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del_metric